Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Serve in Sincerity and Faithfulness

Josh. 24:14-15
"Now therefore fear the Lord and serve Him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away the gods that your fathers served...and serve the Lord...Choose this day whom you will serve...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Before Joshua passed off the scene, he gave final instructions which focused on service. Who would Israel serve? How would they serve? As for Joshua, his entire life had been an example of faithfulness to God serving God in all that he did, and before the end of his life, he boldly declared his choice again. Now the choice was put to the people. When Joshua would be off the scene, they must serve by their own choice. Not only must they choose, but if they chose to serve the Lord, they must do it in sincerity and faithfulness. By the end of the book of Joshua, they had made their choice. They were witnesses against themselves that they had chosen the Lord. It remained for them to put away foreign gods and incline their hearts to the Lord. The choice came down a two-pronged motion: put away and incline.  The heart of the matter is the choice. What do I choose? Have I faithfully and sincerely put away all the idols in my heart? Do I faithfully serve the Lord? What is my heart like? Do I let the issues of daily living pull me away from the priorites of my choice?
Have I laid aside the weights and the sins which cling so closely so that I might run with endurance the race?

Father,
Reveal to me any hidden idols and wrong priorities in my life. Give me the strength to get rid of them. Teach me what it means to serve You in sincerity and faithfulness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment