Thursday, March 3, 2011

Priests and Guards

Num. 18

God spoke to Aaron telling him that he and his sons would bear the iniquities of the sanctuary and the priesthood, but his brothers from the tribe would guard over the priests and the whole tent. Now the entire tabernacle area was protected inside and out. No outsider would ever come near the priests. God's specific purpose was that "there never again be wrath on the people of Israel."  What a devastation Israel had just brought upon themselves![ Num. 17] The people as a whole were protected from any further divine judgment, instead the priests and Levites would take the judgment for the people. They were to be solely responsible to God for His holy things, for the sacrifices, and for the offerings. 

Similarly, I can only come to God through the sacrifice and blood of Jesus. I can not bring my own works or ideas, my self-sufficiency, or even express my displeasure at His will one-on-one apart from the covering of the blood.  My unholiness can not survive in light of His holiness! [ Definitely a harsh lesson that Israel experienced!] But God in His great mercy provided a way for me as He had for them. Now I can come to His throne of grace and mercy where I can pour out my heart, and through His Holy Spirit I can call Him my Abba Father, but all at a cost, the cost of the life of His son. Thank You, Jesus for drawing me to Yourself.   

Father,
My heart is full of thanks for Your gift of salvation through the blood of Your Son. You are so merciful, gracious, and forgiving. Root out any weeds of rebellion and grumbling hidden away within my heart. Keep me ever close to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment