Thursday, March 31, 2011

Heroes

Judges 3-4

What narratives in these chapters! To begin with the passage clarifies why the five lords were left in the land, that is to test Israel, to know whether the nation would obey the commands of the Lord. Sadly, for many years Israel did not obey but instead took wives and married their daughters to the very people they were to destroy, not only that, but they served their gods. So God gave them over to foreign kings. The first hero to rise up out of Israel was Othniel, the nephew of Caleb. God's Spirit was on him as he went to war giving him the king of Mesopotamia. After which the land rested for 40 years.

After this Israel did evil again, but this time God used Eglon the king of Moab as his tool of judgment. The people served Eglon 18 years until Ehud the Benjamite was raised up. After bringing tribute to Eglon, Ehud asked to speak to him in private telling him that he had a message for him from God. Alone in Eglon's chamber, Ehud thrust a sword into his belly. The hilt went in after the sword and fat closed over the blade allowing the dung to come out. How graphic! Ehud escaped and rallied his people. Israel came back that day and killed 10,000 Moabites giving the land rest for  80 years.

The third hero was Shamgar who killed 600 Philistines with an oxgoad, and he also saved Israel. But again Israel did evil. So the Lord gave them over to Jabin king of Canaan. In hard times, Israel does remember to cry out to God for deliverance, and this time was no different. These narratives demonstrate the great mercy of God to hear and answer in spite of their disobedience and unfaithfulness.

This time God used Deborah, Barak, and Jael. Deborah was judging the people and called for Barak reminding him that God had called him to fight. She promised to deliver Sisera into his hand. Barak finally got up his courage as long as Deborah agreed to go with him. Yet, she told him that he would not get the glory for Sisera. It would go to a woman. Deborah did go with him directing him when and where to go. The Lord routed Sisera and his army. But Sisera personally fled the scene. Too bad for him, he fled to the tent of Jael. Here, while resting, Jael pounded a tent peg through his temple. And he died! When Barak finally arrived, Jael presented him Sisera. And as the battle continued, Jabin the king of Canaan was destroyed.

By way of application, the enemies in my life and land are there to test me, to see if I will be obedient to the Lord. Sadly, sometimes I forget to keep that in mind and approach life as something that I need to handle. Repeatedly in these chapters, it says the the Lord gave the victory. It was not through human effort, but through obedience. He also gives me the victory. What I must do is make the choice to obey! Secondly, when there is a victory, I can't take the praise or glory. God gives all the victories. Thirdly, I need to be aware of the great potential for the flesh to take over after a victory. I need to guard my ways, so that I do not sin with my tongue, my life, my choices, my priorities, etc. Being a hero for God means that God is able to use me because of my willingness to obey. It is not what I have to offer God but what He has to give me. These heroes had a heart for God and obedience. Where is my heart? Am I faithful to obey? Do I wait for God to give me the victory?

Lord,
Mold my heart into willing obedience so that I might be used by You for whatever you desire. Open my eyes to the power of my flesh. Give my Your strength to fight and destroy the evil within.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment