Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Two Pictures

Josh. 4:23-24
"For the Lord your God dried up the waters of the Jordan for you until you passed over, as the Lord your God did to the Red Sea, which He dried up for us until we passed over, so that all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the Lord is mighty, that you may fear the Lord your God forever."

God always has a bigger picture. But on the small screen, Israel believed this great miracle at the Jordan was to allow them to cross over into the land they would conquer so that they would know "that the living God was among them and that He would without fail drive out from before them" the existing inhabitants. The message of the small screen, of the here and now, was of ultra importance for that day. Imagine the fear in their hearts when they thought of battling giants and heathen nations. Then throw into that mix the death of Moses coupled with new leadership. Their flesh could certainly take charge! But God knew their weaknesses and encouraged their hearts in obeying His commands. Not only did it diffuse their fears, but it also infused them with courage. 

But on the large screen was a message equally as important. God wanted this miracle known so that all the  peoples of the earth would know that God's hand was mighty. Quite a leap! God's scope had gone from a single nation and a specific locale to the entire earth. At the same time, in the long term, God is building in His people a fear of Him not just for today but forever. God was making His sovereign power known to all. How great is our God!

It is important for me to remember that I am part of a larger picture. God's dealings with me today affect me personally, but they also complete His worldwide picture. So when I am discouraged about life or impatient waiting for God to act, I need to remember that it takes awhile to create a picture of such scope. I need to trust God because it is His picture. He knows not only my beginning and end, but the beginning and end of all time. How exciting to get to heaven where I will see God's mighty hand throughout all time!

Father,
Thank you for encouraging my heart. Teach me to fear You and realize that Your plans far exceed anything I might know or understand.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment