Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tassesls for Remembrance

Num. 15:39-40
"And it shall be a tassel for you to look at and remember all the commandments of the Lord, to do them, not to follow after your own heart and your own eyes, which you are inclined to whore after. So you shall remember and do all my commandments, and be holy to your God."

Disobedience abounded for Israel. They allowed fear to overwhelm their trust in God when the spies came back reporting giants in the land. So much so that God wanted to destroy them and form a new people for Moses to lead into the land. When Joshua tried to restore perspective about conquering the land, the people even tried to stone him. Moses interceded for the people, but God said that none of those who had tested Him would go into the land, but instead they would begin their circuitous route in the wilderness for 40 years. They were there, right at the land's edge.  All they had to do was believe and claim the land, but they wouldn't. What a lesson! Have I ever allowed my flesh to quench or grieve the Holy Spirit? Has my fear kept me in a wilderness instead of in a glorious promised land?

Some people did feel badly about what they had done, and went into fight against Moses' warning. This was not the time or the way. And as Moses said, they were defeated and pursued. They are still not understanding that it must be a matter of the Lord's timing and obedience, a concept the people truly struggled with. It made no difference whether they refused to fight when they should have or if they fought when they were not supposed to. It was all disobedience to the commands of the Lord. Have I pursued the Lord's work but in my own strength and in my own timing?

Then the Sabbath breaker was executed. He was only gathering sticks on the Sabbath which sounds like a small infraction. But when God spoke to Moses about the man, the verdict was stoning outside the camp. Even such a thing as this was disobedience. I can only imagine Moses' heart for these people and for God. It was as if the two would never be in sync. To help the people, God told them to make blue cords to fasten on their garments to remind them to obey the commandments of the Lord. Maybe a visual would be what the people needed. It would keep the issue of obedience physically ever before them. But why blue? The priests wore blue so symbolically this blue would remind them that they were a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. Specifically, God said not only to remember His commands, but also not to follow after their own hearts and their own eyes. What strong words!

Blue would be the color for me as well. I Pet. 1:9 says "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light."  I need a similar focus since God has warned me in I Jn. 2:15 "Do  not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world-- the desires of he flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the father but is from the world." In very strong words, God commands me not to follow my own heart or my own eyes as well. It seems as if the problems are the same! The years have not modified the flesh, but the grace of God has conquered it. I praise Him for His grace for my weakness because in my weakness His grace is perfected.

Father,
If I need a visual, I am willing to do whatever to obey and to crucify the desires of my flesh and my eyes. Help me to listen to Your words and to walk forward unafraid because You have promised to be with me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment