Monday, March 7, 2011

Vows

Num. 30:2
"If a man vows a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by a pledge, he shall not break his word. He shall do according to all that proceeds out of His mouth."

A man was never excused from a vow before God, but a woman could be if she were still under the authority of her father or her husband.  The words that were uttered became  a bond or a pledge attesting to the faithfulness of that person, to the character and commitment of that person.

God gave His people His Word as His bond or and pledge as well. He always did what He said He would,  " For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through Him that we utter our Amen to God for His glory." 
"He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it."
"But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one." 
"If we are faithless, He remains faithful--for He cannot deny Himself." 
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Is it the same for me? Am I to be faithful and true to my words? Certainly, not vowing anything would be a way out, but what are the strength of my words? The problem for me comes in Rom. 7. In the flesh I delight in God and in being faithful to all that He says, but in my flesh, I am a captive prevented from doing what I truly want. So what is the answer?? Grace. Grace must be the only motivation for all that I say, think, or do. If I try to do all that I say I will in my own strength, then I will fail, more than that it will not bring glory and honor to His name. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  So "whoever speaks as one who speaks the oracles of God, whoever serves as one who serves by the strength that God supplies--in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ."

Father,
Keep my sensitive to all that I say, think, and do. Make Your grace my  all. Crucify my flesh that clings so closely and tries so hard to defeat me.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment