Friday, March 25, 2011

Duped

Josh. 9:14-15
"So the men took some of their provisions, but did not ask counsel from the Lord. And Joshua made peace with them and made a covenant with them, to let them live, and the leaders of the congregation swore to them."

Because Israel obeyed God, He gave them repeated victories, and the inhabitants of the land were destroyed. On one day He even made the sun stand still. "There has been no day like it before or since, when the Lord heeded the voice of a man, for the Lord fought for Israel." But there was one time that Israel did not consult the Lord, and they were duped. The Gibeonites came pretending to be something that they were not, and the men of Israel fell for the ruse. "They did not ask counsel from the Lord. And Joshua made peace with them and made a covenant with them, to let them live, and the leaders of the congregation swore to them."  Finally, after three days they realized what had happened. The land could have been completely free of its former inhabitants, but because they did not follow God's instruction, they would be saddled with these people within the land. What insight this narrative gives! How many times have I made things more difficult for myself because I did not consult the Lord? How many times have I believed the world's lie?

Father,
I confess not talking to You about my decisions. I know that You know best because You have made the plan for my life. Transform my self-sufficiency into dependency. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment