Tuesday, March 22, 2011

In the Shadow

Ps. 91:1-2
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

Dwelling and abiding are two words that are close to the heart of believers. Jn 15:4-5 says, "Abide in me and I in you. As the branch can not bear fruit unless it abide in the vine, neither can you. Whoever it is who abides in me and I in Him, he it is who bears much fruit for apart from me, you can do nothing." Dwelling in His shelter means abiding in His shadow. Such closeness only comes from being at home with God. When He is my shelter, He protects my soil from the onslaughts of human flesh making it possible for me to bear fruit. With Him I can live as He would have me live. He does not ask for me to do it on my own because it is impossible. I can do nothing apart from Him. In addition to such closeness, I have a refuge and fortress, a place of protection and safety. When my heart trusts in Him, I can rest in His plan and purpose. I know that in His shelter and shadow, in His refuge and fortress nothing can touch me that is not for my good. His purposes for me are a surety, and as a surety, I can trust in Him implicitly.  How amazing that a Sovereign God would allow me such closeness as abiding and dwelling!

Father,
Continue to teach me what it means to abide in Your shadow. Keep me from taking charge instead of running into Your refuge and shelter.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment