Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Strictly Obey

Deut. 15:4-5
"for the Lord will bless you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance to possess--if only you will strictly obey the voice of the Lord your God, being careful to do all this commandment that I command you today."

For Israel, obedience was a huge issue, a true 'if only'. Chapter after chapter repeats this same command, that is to obey His commands, but in chap. 15 we have a new adjective, 'strictly,' which seems to add new dimensions to the command. Strict obedience has no wiggle room or personal interpretation, but must be  exactly as God had prescribed. Why would God be so specific concerning foods, festivals, crops, strangers and even slaves? To be this people that "the Lord had chosen for His treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth, demanded holiness. Holiness comes from obedience to what God says! As sovereign God, His control was all-invasive covering every aspect of their lives.

Is strict obedience a concern for me as well? Does the same sovereign God want control of every aspect of my life? If I am to glorify Him in all that I do and say, then obedience to His word is a must! Thankfully, grace is His blessing to me--grace to obey and more grace from obeying. Grace to glorify Him in all that I do or say. Grace for salvation, justification, sanctification, and glorification. Grace for His strength to be perfected in my weak flesh. Grace to delight and love Him more each day.

Father,
Convict me when I veer from Your words. Put within my heart an overwhelming desire to 'strictly' obey all that You have said. Thank You for Your grace that makes it all possible.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment