Friday, June 17, 2011

Firebrands, Arrows, and Death

Prov. 26:18-19
"Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I am only joking."

How many times have I heard or even said, "Just joking"? Even though it is supposed to take the sting out of the comment and exonerate the speaker, it often hurts the receiver. The supposed innocent and funny comment is hurtful because at its heart is ridicule. Ridicule lifts up the speaker while it tears down the other person. Although it seems extreme, these verses compare them to firebrands, arrows, and death. There is nothing funny or innocent in that description, in fact these words are associated with war and destruction. These flippant comments injure a relationship, either momentarily or permanently, and many times destroy that relationship. Have I made hurtful comments under the guise of a joke? Am I seeking to build others up in Christ?
"I will guard my ways that I might not sin with my tongue."
Father,
I confess I have done this. Give me wisdom and strength to speak only words that edify and glorify You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment