Monday, June 6, 2011

Sword Thrusts

Prov. 12:18
"There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

What an image to describe the damage that the tongue can do! Sword thrusts can wound and even kill the spirit of a man and the strength of a relationship. Even though repeated jabs can make long term, irreparable wounds, a wise tongue brings healing. Can the power of God that has changed a tongue from thrusting to healing, also undo the damage of years of thrusting? God's power is unlimited as is His grace, but the warning comes to the thruster. Guard your tongue! A sword wound goes deep and makes scars! Sadly, I have 'thrust-ed' quite a few swords in my time. Not only am I concerned about undoing the damage that I have caused, but what about breaking the habit of thrusting? Old speech patterns die hard! But God has encouraged me and provided me His grace and strength. Through Him I can speak words of healing and wisdom. When His words are stored in my heart, then they come out my mouth. What a powerful God I serve!

Father,
Keep Your words flowing out of my mind, heart, and mouth. Help me to speak kindness, healing, and wisdom. Help me be gracious as You are constantly to me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment