Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mine and His

Song of Solomon 2:16
"My beloved is mine, and I am his."

This book of love poetry describes the intimacy of love in the marriage context. Whether it only describes physical marriage on earth or the marriage of Christ and the church, it is intensely intimate and passionate. There are numerous descriptions of the physical beauty of the partners in this relationship, and the enjoyment of each other's physical beauty. It makes it clear that marriage is not just a working relationship to accomplish the daily duties, but a passionate delighting in each other. Some of my favorite lines are:

  •  "His banner over me was love." Husband and wife are united and covered in their love for one another. Christ showed the greatest love possible by dying for the church, His bride. Truly His banner over His bride is love.
  • "My beloved is mine, and I am His." There is never a doubt who the married couple are. They are not enticed away from each other, but are secure in their abiding love. Christ offers an even deeper bond because it was forged with His blood. He chose me to be part of His bride. Once chosen, I am His, completely and irrevocably.
  • "How much better is your love than wine..." The intimacy of the husband and wife is far superior to wine because it is all inclusive, covering a vast array of endeavors. It alone is passionate and heady. The same with Christ and the church.  Our love for Christ should supersede family, job, and anything that the world offers. It is our motivation for all that we do. We are to leave all to follow Christ.
  • "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it."  Love within marriage should be  strengthened by the waters of trial and adversity. As the husband and wife pull together, their bond grows stronger. In the relationship of Christ and His church, trials and adversities are often the vehicle of more grace. This grace strengthens and build the relationship of the bride and Christ. Once I am Christ's nothing can pluck me out of His hand, no amount of turbulent water.
Father,
Keep my love for John and for Jesus passionate and strong. Help me focus on Your love so that it can flow out to others.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment