Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Soft Answer

Prov. 15:1
"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

A soft answer implies that my heart is soft as well, soft and pliable to God. As anger and angry people come into my life, what is my response? Do I react in anger, or do I in softness and submission, speak to God before I respond? If I am harsh, even though I may feel the person deserves a harsh answer, I am stirring up more anger. Anger diffused is a relationship preserved!

"A gentle tongue is a tree of life..."  Since gentleness is a trait of the Spirit's fruit, this proverb refers to the growth of fruit in my life. A gentle tongue coming from abiding in the vine can then in turn produce a tree of life for others. Gentleness of speech can be a shade from the blast of angry and abusive words. It can be life-giving by encouraging and fostering communication. Gentleness leads to listening and caring for the needs of others. Giving my tongue to God to be used by Him is essential for abiding in Him and producing abiding fruit.

Father,
Put a guard over my ways that I might not sin with my tongue. Help me to be soft and submissive to You so that my tongue might be gentle bringing life and healing to others.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment