Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just Quit

Prov. 17:18
"The beginning of strife is like letting out water, so quit before the quarrel breaks out."

Strife, disharmony, or tension begin with a small drip, barely noticeable, just a small irritation. But if left unchecked, the drip can turn into a slow leak. In time, the slow leak weakens the barrel until a gush of water flows out. The seemingly small, insignificant irritation has grown into a full fledged quarrel. I have experienced this so many times. What to do? The proverb says QUIT! Just quit! Give it up! But that is so hard. I want to hold onto my rights, my feelings, or my hurts. I want to hold on to my injury until it is made right for me. But according to this, is this my course of action?

 Why does the proverb say to quit? I know that peace is part of the fruit of the Spirit and believers are commanded to "Live peaceably with all men."  As I grow in the Lord and the Spirit grows fruit in my life, I see that strife is most often caused by selfishness. I want my way. Also,  Philippians says "in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." This attitude of sacrifice for others is the stuff that quitting the strife is made from. When I am thinking of others, the quitting is doable. One thing I know is that the grace of God is essential for peace. 

Father,
Give me Your grace to quit when the water begins to drip. Help me to let go of myself and love You more than my injured pride.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment