Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Believe the Word

Jn. 4:50
'"Jesus said to him, "Go, your son will live." The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and went on his way."'

The second sign that Jesus performed was when an official in Capernaum came to Jesus to ask for the healing of his sick son. Jesus listened, but instead of accompanying the man back home, he told him to go without Him because his son was healed even as they were speaking. How hard would this be to believe? Would it be more difficult than having Jesus come and heal the boy in person? How much faith would be involved? What would have been my response? I know that I would have been begging and pleading Jesus for the life of my child, but would I have put more importance on the presence of Jesus over the words of Jesus?  But this man believed the words of Jesus; in fact, he staked the very life of his son on these words.When he went home, he found his son was indeed healed, and at the very moment, that Jesus had spoken the words. The result was that the man and his family believed in Jesus.

I am once again amazed at the power of the words of Jesus! His words are the very words of God, the Logos. His words are the same words that I have in the Bible. What is my response to these words? Do I believe them as if my very life depends on them? Do I have implicit faith in them without any doubting? With such power as this in these words, they should be of prime importance to me. I should know them, study them, meditate on them, and even memorize them. "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit. of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." What a gift I have in the Word of God!

Father,
Strengthen my faith in every word of Your Word so that it becomes my entire reason for life, for whatever I do, think, and even feel. Help me to run in the way of Your Words when You enlarge my heart.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment