Thursday, November 18, 2010

Holy, Holy, Holy

Is. 6:1-8
"Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of Hosts."

What a great scene! How dramatic! Isaiah saw the glory of the Lord revealed in unbelievable detail. God was enthroned sitting high and lifted up. As his robe filled the temple, He was surrounded by six seraphim, fiery angelic beings. Even such powerful heavenly beings as these could not look into the face of God almighty. They covered their faces uttering their praise, "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts, the whole earth is full of His glory."   

As Isaiah watched, he realized that his heart was unable to join in these praises; in fact, he was overwhelmed with his sin in light of the holiness of God. His true heart condition had been revealed. He was lost, undone, unclean, and even lived in the midst of unclean people. What hope did he have? None! He could only say, "Woe is me."

But God in His grace sent a seraphim with a burning coal in his hand to touch Isaiah's lips.How fitting that a being whose essence was flames would carry the burning coal from the altar. I wonder if that sight further increased the fear that filled Isaiah's heart since fire has a potential for cleansing as well as destruction. With the tong, the seraphim lowered the coal to Isaiah's lips. Instantaneously, his guilt was taken away, and his sin atoned. Wow! Such hope out of despair! Such salvation out of loss! Such grace for unworthiness!

What grace God offers! He, as the holy God, can not allow sin in His presence so instead of destroying sinful man, He cleanses and saves him, but not because of his worthiness or his great potential, but because of His great grace. Isaiah's words are definitely mine. I am guilty and unworthy to the point of being undone. But God has reached out to me in the person of His Son, Jesus Christ, cleansing away sin's grime, covering me with the blood of Jesus, atoning for my sin, and completely saving me. It is because of Jesus Christ that I can come boldly to the throne of Grace for help in my times of need.

Father,
You are holy, and I am filthy. Thank You for Your Son's sacrifice that bridged this huge gap of separation. Teach me to relate to Your holiness as I should. Help me to fear You for the holy God that You are.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment