Friday, November 5, 2010

He Knew What Was in Man

Jn. 2:24-25
"But Jesus on His part did not entrust Himself to them, because He knew all people and needed no one to bear witness about man, for He Himself knew what was in man."

Man, on the whole, lacks so much discernment. Although, he is wowed by signs and wonders, he rarely ever considers the substance of the person performing these signs. If there is a splash or a show, man loves it, much like TV religious speakers who con people into giving large amounts of money for their shows In these verses Jesus had been in Jerusalem for the Passover feast doing great signs. Many believed in His name but only because of the signs. They did not go beyond the exterior to the heart of Jesus. Sadly, without seeing the man Jesus and the reason for the signs, their vision would be short-lived.

Jesus knew the heart of man since He was God in human form. He knew man's attraction to signs, but He also knew better than to entrust Himself to them. Even though they might be in awe at one moment, the next moment they could be screaming, "Crucify Him, crucify Him."  After reading this, I am so very thankful that God chose me for salvation even though He knew what was in my heart. He didn't reach out and save me because of my great discernment, but for His will and purpose.

Like Jesus, I do need to learn discernment about people and their motives. Since it is not in my nature, I need to use the Spirit of God to communicate with my spirit not just about other's motives but about my own. Jesus is exposing a common weakness of people that is believing without understanding and believing but not following through. This lesson must be applied to me personally. Am I following through when Jesus speaks to me? Can I be entrusted to be faithful and obedient to His Word? I know that it is only if I am relying on His power, His Spirit, and His grace. In myself, I would fail!

Father,
Make me aware of my true condition so that I will be constantly crying out for Your grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment