Friday, November 26, 2010

Jesus' Prayer

Jn. 17

Jesus' prayer in Jn. 17 is an example of His intercession for me. He didn't pray that my life would be easy or free of trials, but He prayed that I would grow in Him. But, why did Jesus take this time to pray especially in light of all that He had yet to endure? Perhaps it was because He would be gone and the Spirit had not come, or maybe because the believers were a special burden to Him because of His deep love for them. He also said that He was praying for them and not the world because the believers belonged to Him. They were given by the Father to Him. "All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them." then He went on to pray:
  • That I would be kept in His name so that I would be one with Jesus and the Father.
  • That I would not be taken out of the world, but that I would be kept from the evil one.
  • That I would be sanctified in His truth that is the Father's words. 
  • That I would be unified with Jesus, the Father, and other believers.
  • That I would be with Him to see His glory given to Him by the Father.
  • That I would experience the same love of the Father that Jesus did.
  • That I would have the joy of Jesus fulfilled in me.
What a beautiful prayer! It certainly puts into perspective what it means for Jesus to intercede for me. Since the road to sanctification is often paved with suffering and trials, He prays for me that I will use His grace to endure. He knows that my life as a believer is to share Him and His salvation for others in this world. For this task, I need His grace and His intercession.  Jesus' focus was on spiritual issues, on eternal matters. He prays that my life will be consumed with Him, His Father's word, and the joy and love that comes from living like this.

Father,
Keep my focus where Jesus is praying that it will be. Help me to practically realize my mission here so that I can be sharing Jesus in this world that has such desperate needs.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment