Thursday, November 4, 2010

Praises!

Ps. 95:1-7

I would think that praise is a large part of worship, praise in song and praise in prayer. Sometimes I feel like my 'thank you' is so shallow, and it is! What to do? As I was reading Psalm 95 this morning, I realized that the first seven verses are prime verses to memorize, to quote or pray back to God. God has given me a perfect example in this heart cry from the psalmist. 

"Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come into His presence with thanksgiving: let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise. for the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In His hand are the depths of the earth, the heights of the mountains are His also. The sea is His, for He made it, and His hands formed the dry land. Oh come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord, our Maker! For He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture, and the sheep of His hand." 

After thinking about these verses again, I see that singing is key to worship. Singing, not just in corporate worship, but in my personal life. A song of praise should be flowing freely filling my hours. 

Then the psalmist praises God for His attributes: His strength as the Rock, His greatness, His kingship above all others, His creating of all, and His personal relationship with His children as the Shepherd. 

I also see that I must come in worship. It is an action based in my heart's response to God. I must desire to be in His presence, and I must do this in humility even to the point of kneeling to a God who is so great. I need to give Him my all since He is my shepherd, and I am His sheep. This coming is not just a once-a-week experience, or something just reserved for church. It is my coming, me alone in the presence of God.

So what is my problem? When I am alone at home, what do I chose to do? Do I want to worship, or do I fill my life with so many mundane activities? Is worship as important or more important that the many things that fill my day? I know that God gave me grace, His strength to worship, but still I must desire it. I have to cut lose the ties that bind me to the temporal things of this world. Praises to my God need to be filling my head, my heart, and my voice constantly.

Father,
Guide me into the worship that You so desire. Transfer my hold on the inconsequentials to the great eternal matters of consequence. Teach me to worship as You would have it be.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment