Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Lord is Good

Ps. 107:1-2
"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever! Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom He has redeemed from trouble."

The psalmist practically discusses thankfulness and how my thankfulness is related to God's essence, to His goodness. Just as God is good consistently and constantly, I must be thankful consistently and constantly. Not only must my heart be thankful, but I need to declare my thanks aloud. It has to go beyond a heart response to a shared thankfulness. It needs to be sent back up to God as praise and shared with others as a testimony of God's great goodness. Finally, my thankfulness needs to be an offering given freely to God in my songs of praise. Thankfulness should pervade my entire life and reflect God-given wisdom. The psalmist concludes saying, "Whoever is wise, let him attend to these things, let them consider the steadfast love of the Lord."

What specifically does the psalmist mention as fodder for thanks? What specifically illustrates God's goodness in the life of the child of God?
  • God's steadfast love endures forever.
  • He has delivered me from distress.
  • He has redeemed me from trouble.
  • He satisfies the longing soul.
  • He fills the hungry soul with good things.
  • He delivers those who have wandered from Him.
  • He disciplines those who are His to restore them to His fellowship.
  • He heals through His word.
  • He saves from the storms.
  • He raises the needy out of affliction.
Am I thankful for all God does in my life? Has my thanks grown into wisdom? Is my meditation full of the steadfast love of the Lord?

Father,
Thank You for Your great love that has filled my life. Thank You that You are good, and in Your goodness, You have sought me out to be Your child. Transform my heart filling it with thanks. Make it the substance of my words, my worship, and my songs. I love You Lord,
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment