Monday, November 29, 2010

Seek Your Servant

Ps. 119:176
" I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget Your commandment."

At the end of this great psalm, the psalmist openly admits his human frailties much like Paul in Rom. 7 where he says that he wants to do right; in fact, he delights in the law of God in his inner being. But in his members he sees another law waging war and making him captive to the law of sin that dwells in his body. The psalmist is attesting to this same struggle. Even though the Word is powerful and takes him into the presence of God, he struggles with his debasing human weaknesses. He says honestly that he goes astray like a lost sheep and cries for his shepherd to rescue him. Even when he is down, he always knows where to go for help because defeat is  not his lifestyle. 

When I read this verse and Rom. 7, it does encourage me because many times my flesh defeats my spirit causing me to wander like a lost sheep. The amazing thing is that I when I cry out for God to seek me, He does! He seeks me because He does not see my performance, my slips and stumbles, but He sees me through the blood of Jesus, through the eyes of grace. In His steadfast love, mercy, and grace, He comes for me and lifts me up carrying me on His amazing wings of grace.

Even though it is all of grace, the psalmist knew he must be in the word. He must be plugged in to the heavenly power source. The same goes for me. It is there that I am fed and healthy spiritually. It is there that I see the amazing promises of grace, and it is there that I am strengthened with power in the inner man so that I may know all the fullness of Christ.

Father,
Thank You for Your word and Your grace that rescues me from myself. As I am in Your Word, make it ever increasingly mine.  Deepen my understanding and broaden my application.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment