Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Full Joy

Jn. 15:11
"These things I have spoken to You, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."

At the conclusion of this passage on Jesus as the vine, He says joy is the final result. My joy will be full because His joy is in me. What is His joy? Is it different that what I consider joy? Heb. 12:1-2 says "Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of God."  His joy gave Him endurance for the cross. Like Him, we are to let go of the weights and sins of this world and run with endurance my race keeping my eyes focused on Jesus. He was able to complete His race by focusing on the joy that was set before Him. Similarly, I am to complete my race by keeping my eyes focused on the joy before me, that is Jesus Christ. 

What in this passage brings the fullness of joy to my life?
  • being clean by the Word
  • bearing fruit and being pruned to bear more fruit
  • abiding in His Word
  • effective praying
  • glorifying the Father by fruit bearing
  • proof that I am His by bearing fruit
  • abiding in His love
When I look at this list, I can see why my joy would be full. What a life Jesus has given me as a branch! What great grace! It is only through His grace that I am clean, bearing fruit, abiding in His word, praying effectively, and glorifying the Father.

Father,
As I read this passage, help me to seek this life through Your grace. Keep my eyes focused on Jesus Christ so that my joy will be complete glorifying You.
In Jesus name,
Amen 
  • keeping His commandments

No comments:

Post a Comment