Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Elijah, a Man of Like Passions

Jas. 5:16b
"The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."

James is saying some important things about prayer. First, prayer is essential for healing. The specific example is confession of sin. He encourages believers to confess to one another, to pray for one another so that they may be healed from actual sickness and from soul sickness. I think that there are two key elements here. First, to confess takes a great deal of humility which means a change of heart for the one suffering, and then it stresses the importance of believers supporting one another in prayer. The power of God is in prayer for the sinner and for the one supporting!

Then James goes on to use Elijah as an example of power in prayer. According to James Elijah was just like any human, fearful, lonely, and at times even desiring to die. Yet, God used him mightily. When he prayed for the rain to stop, it did; and when he prayed for the rain to begin, it did. When he prayed for God to consume the sacrifice, it did. He may have been just any person, but he was a person who prayed!  This is James' point. Prayer is powerful. Faithfulness in prayer can change a person from the wallowing in pity to being greatly used by God.

The point is if Elijah was like all of us and he could pray down the visible power of God, can I?  James says yes. I think he speaks to believers like this because prayer is often the great untapped resource. It is here for me to use, but how much time do I spend praying? Is the focus of my life prayer? Do I pray consistently for my own sin and sickness and for the illnesses of others? Am I using this great gift as I should? I would imagine Elijah prayed as if his life depended on it, and it did. Am I praying as if my spiritual life depends on it?

Father,
I confess my lack of prayer and even passion in prayer. Transform my heart. Help me to desire to be in constant communion with You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment