Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Not to Us

Ps. 115:1
"Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your name give glory, for the sake of Your steadfast love and Your faithfulness."

The psalmist begins by repeating the same phrase twice. Why? Certainly, it is for emphasis, but I also think it is because of man's desire to grab glory for himself. I am sure that the psalmist struggled with his flesh as much as I do in all the same areas that John mentions, the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride in possessions. Sadly, my flesh cries out constantly for glory mistakenly thinking that it is all because of my might, my strength, and my mind. How deceived is my flesh! Like the psalmist I must say, not to me, not to me but to Your name is the glory!

Why is God worthy of the glory? Simply, it is because of His steadfast love and faithfulness, a love that reached down to me to save me, to offer His Son, and to cancel the debt of my sin. God's love was not based in any way on my worthiness. I did nothing to deserve it. Not only that, but He is faithful to His promises, to every word that He has said. My life would be nothing without His unfailing love and faithfulness. In fact, I would only be worthy of judgment and separation from God. For all that, the glory is His. Everyday I bask in His love and faithfulness through His amazing grace, through being able to come confidently to the throne of grace, and through being able to look forward expectantly to the coming of Jesus in all His glory.

Father,
Thank You for Your grace. Help me to remember always to give you all the glory. Send Your Spirit to convict when I try and grab some for myself.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment