Saturday, November 13, 2010

Springs

Jn. 7:36
'"Whoever believes in me as the Scripture have said, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."'

I believe in Jesus and the Word of God; consequently, I have rivers of living water flowing out of my heart. Questions that come to mind are: Why is there more than one river? What is the purpose of these rivers?What are these rivers?

In the next verse Jesus said He was speaking of the Spirit when He was talking of these rivers, the Spirit whom He had not yet given to those who believed. As to the plural nature of this abundant water, I think it would be the many ministries of the Spirit within my life. He is responsible for drawing me to the Father for salvation, a river which washes away the heinous stains of my sin in the blood of Jesus. After salvation, there are rivers of conviction, teaching, guiding, sealing, sanctifying, interceding, and so much more. The Spirit's ministry in my life is huge and constantly flowing!

Could these rivers ever get stopped up or diverted? The Spirit Himself can be quenched and grieved by my sin, pride, and waywardness. When I allow this, the free-flowing abundance of cleansing and power that the Spirit wants to provide in my life is temporarily altered. I have blocked the free flow, not completely, but definitely changed the course of the flow. Why would I do this? My flesh and pride are formidable foes, and at times, present convincing arguments. When I listen, I fall, and consequently live in altered flow. Not a pretty picture or something pleasant to experience! Thankfully, grace is overall. From God's point of view, grace is in control. He sees me only through the blood, but from my point of view, I have hurt myself by making myself obstacles to the free flowing Spirit. I have been enticed by my own desires and lusts. Because of grace, I can still go with confidence to the throne of Grace to find grace to help in time of need, grace that I need to restore the flow of the river. Then the Spirit's work in my life is fruitful and abundant. Jesus did not give me a single stream of the Spirit, but rivers! What a gift! 

Father,
Thank You for these rivers of the Spirit and for Your great grace. Help me to ever access these rivers so that I can be fruitful in my love for You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment