Saturday, November 20, 2010

God's Glory or Man's Glory

Jn. 12:43
"For they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God."

Since the people had seen Jesus do many signs, wonders, and even miracles, many of them believed, even those in authority. Wow! Sounds good! But not so...The passage tells us that for fear of the Pharisees, they refused to confess their belief. Their greatest concern was acceptance by the Pharisees and preserving synagogue privileges rather than concern for their souls and their eternal destiny. In their hearts, they loved the glory that comes from man! They wanted to be known and accepted, to be applauded and advanced, and to be secure and safe in their daily lives. . Even though God's glory in the person of Jesus Christ was visible to them and their hearts believed, this world was their home not the kingdom of God.

How scary to think of believing and yet not confessing! Rom. 10:9 says "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Belief and confession go hand in hand. How close those people came, and yet they threw it all over for man's power. I must examine my heart. Do I desire man's opinion and glory? Certainly, not concerning salvation, but what about other areas? Does Jesus always come first or do I make soft choices? Am I deceiving myself in thinking I can bring glory to God and still have praise of man?

Father,
Convict my heart when I am tempted to desire man's praise more than bringing glory to Your name. Keep my eyes focused on You constantly, on what is eternal not what is temporal.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment