Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Integrity of Heart

Ps. 101:2b
"I will walk with integrity of heart within my house."

Integrity is the subject of David's psalm. He declares he will walk with integrity within his heart and within his house, the place that is the most difficult of all. It was within the house that David's sin with Bathsheba happened. In fact, most sins that  pollute character happen within the house. It is there that we keep things  hidden from others, that we show how we truly feel, and that we act without fear of consequence. When there are no prying eyes, integrity takes on a different flavor. Sadly, David did fall from his integrity, and all believers have that potential as well. Knowing full well my nature, I must guard my integrity through the strength of the Lord. When I take charge, it can easily bring a downfall.

David adds areas that characterize this God-given integrity. First is to keep my eyes focused on worthwhile things. What a rebuke! How much of my time is spent on worthless things, not necessarily bad things, but things that really have no value. I am to redeem the time, to buy it back from preoccupation with the worthless to complete focus on the worthwhile. How will I distinguish the worthwhile from the worthless? By the Word. Its worth is established by God Himself.

Secondly, is keeping free of perversity and evil. For where your treasure is, there will be your heart also."  An evil treasure makes an evil heart! Certainly, I would never desire evil, but I think that Satan is clever is muddying the waters, in making things off color and funny. What is gray, is evil too. I am to be free of all that is evil and that includes harboring sin of any kind.

Integrity also includes the absence of slander, of not tainting others for personal benefit. Instead, I am to put others before myself, and not to think highly of myself. The act of slander is rooted in pride. When pride is in control, I want to be the best. To maintain this false sense of self-worth, slander becomes an easy tool. By slandering another, I can destroy another's self-worth and reputation, all the while raising my own self-worth. I am wondering if there aren't gray areas in this as well. What about gossip? I don't think that the degree changes the underlying nature. David then refers to a  haughty look and an arrogant heart, two things which are the natural results of slandering others and of life filled with pride. Even though I am freed from sin, I am still in the flesh, and my flesh always wants to be first. What a battle is a life lived in integrity!

David concludes by speaking harshly about practicing deceit and lying. Truth is a must! If God chose me to be saved and to be conformed to the image of His Son, and His Son is Truth personified, then I must have a commitment to truth as well. Truth does not allow deceit or lies. Certainly, living a life in integrity of heart is a constant grace walk. It is not something to be accomplished in the flesh but only through the grace and strength of God.

Father,
Teach me how to have integrity of heart and how to be serious about how you have called me to live.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment