Sunday, November 21, 2010

Known by Love

Jn. 13:34-35
"A new commandment I give you, that you love one another, just as I have loved you, you also love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

It sounds like a simple command, but it is so very difficult! Loving others as Christ loved me cuts across the grain of my selfishness. I must put others before myself. In this passage Christ demonstrated the degree of selflessness needed when He washed the disciples feet. He took the lowliest position and performed the lowliest of tasks. He ministered to all of the disciples instead of having them meet His needs. He needed no special allowances even though what He had soon to face was the worst cup ever to drink. How many times is my love altered because I feel bad or am going through a hard time? How many times is my focus on being loved not loving others? How many times do I actually chose the lowliest of positions?

 Jesus says it is a new command. In the OT the command was to love God and your neighbor as yourself, but now it is love others as Jesus loved you. Jesus' love was sacrificial. When I consider that Jesus left His home, and came to earth to be rejected, to be misunderstood, to be beaten, and to be crucified. This was a love that knew no limits. It means that I must give up what I want, my agenda, my desires, etc. to meet the needs of others. It means I must put others before myself. So very hard!

Jesus' command was clearly taught because He modeled this love He commands. If I am confused about how love looks practically, all I have to do is examine His life. Since  His love was readily transparent, it was the motivation for all that He did. He said clearly that a servant is not greater than the master. As a servant, I cannot demand to be loved any differently than my master. I must manifest His love in the same sacrificial way that He loved. Am I godly in my love for others? Is my love sincere and without pretense? Am I willing to sacrifice my self and my desires?

Finally, this love is to be my identification mark. It should clearly delineate me as a believer. How can I make this my ID? "Above all put on love..."  First, I need to ask the Spirit to grow this fruit in my heart. Without a God-given crop how can I put it on?  If I am to put on love, then I must take something off first, that is my selfishness. I need to meditate on God's love, His attributes, and His actions. I need to embrace this command wholeheartedly and make it a matter of prayer. Even though this love comes through the power of the Holy Spirit, it must be my desire. Am I willing to let God produce this love in me? Am I willing to travel the path of selflessness? Am I willing to love as Christ loved?

Father,
I want to obey Your command. Teach me how to love. Fill me with Your love so that I too can love others as Jesus did.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment