Sunday, December 12, 2010

Abondoned Their First Love

Rev. 2:4
"But this I have against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first."

The church at Ephesus was known for their works, their toil and patient endurance, and their ability to spot evil and false teachers. They were also patiently enduring and bearing up for His name's sake without growing weary. But in the midst of all these good things was one very severe problem, that is they had lost their first love. I am amazed that with all they had going for them, they still were not in love with Jesus. At the end of the letter they are urged to repent before it is too late. How sobering!

I think that this letter speaks to the inner man, to the emotions, thoughts, and motives for service. It is clear that duty without love is insufficient. God says that man looks on the outward appearance but He looks on the heart. Probably to the human eye this church would be outstanding in service, faithfulness, and commitment, but what others can see doesn't tell the whole story. Why would they do all this service with wrong motives? Perhaps, they were more concerned with what other people thought, with their reputation among the churches, or maybe they were very duty-driven people. But no matter the reason, the warning is repent if your heart is not right. 

 I wonder how my church would be described, or how my life would be described. Am I known for my works? Do I toil with patient endurance? Can I spot what is evil and what is false doctrine? Am I patiently bearing up for His name? Most importantly, have I lost my first love? Have I fallen into a similar trap?

Father,
Open my heart, cleanse it, and give me grace to love you as I should. Help  me never to serve You out of duty, but to serve You with the fervor of my first love.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment