Sunday, December 5, 2010

In Deed and in Truth

I Jn. 3:18
"Little Children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth."

Since Jesus laid down His life for me, I too am to lay down my life for my brothers. Theoretically, it means I could actually lay down my life for someone else, but more realistically, it means that I must meet others physical needs. If I see someone hurting or lacking in worldly goods, I am to keep my heart open. When my heart is open, I am holding on to what is mine loosely, so loosely that I can give my possessions or my money away to meet another's needs. When God's love controls my heart, then my money and possessions are not my treasure. The love of God is my treasure! Thus sharing His love with others in a physical way is my treasure also. He also desires me to love truthfully, that is not making a pretense or a show of meeting other's needs. It is not doing it for man's praise or recognition, but it is giving sacrificially and with deep concern. It is giving to others as Christ laid down His life for me. When I love like this, then I am obeying God's command to love one another and I am dwelling in Him.  

Father,
Help me to love in deed and truth keeping my heart pure and free from selfishness. Loosen my grip on this world, my possessions, my time, and anything else that keeps me from obeying You as I should.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment