Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Lift Up My Eyes

Ps. 121:1-2
"I lift up my eyes to the hills, From whence does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."

What a beautiful psalm of comfort! In times of stress, of trouble, of pain, of suffering, of persecution, etc, where should I look? I should look up, up to my God. Yet many times, I look within  or to other people or programs. I try and solve the problem myself or seek the help of someone who can come up with a plan. But ultimately, lasting help only comes from one place, that is from God. Because my God is the sovereign God who formed the plan for my life, He knows what exactly I need. With Him there is no guesswork. 

The psalmist goes on to tell how God is his help. Like the psalmist, He helps me day or night because He never slumbers. I have round-the-clock protection.  As my keeper and shade, He protects me from the sun and the moon including the ravages of nature. Finally, He keeps me from evil and protects all my goings in or out from this time and forevermore. What more is there?

Father,
Help me to remember where to look in times of trouble. Keep my eyes focused on You and trusting in Your plan for my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

1 comment:

  1. That's definitely one of my favorite verses - especially when I'm afraid! How can I look anywhere else, when I can get help from the One who made heaven and earth!

    ReplyDelete