Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Anointing

I Jn. 2:27
"But the anointing that you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as His anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no life--just as it taught you, abide in Him."

The anointing that Jesus gave us in the form of the Holy Spirit supersedes man's wisdom. What a strong statement! I have no need that anyone teach me, but instead, His Spirit teaches me. This concept certainly negates false teachers, but at the same time the Bible sets forth the gifts of pastors and teachers who do teach and who should teach me. In relationship to this, I have the Spirit's witness confirming or denying all that I hear or am taught. The Spirit in my life is crucial! I can't ignore or neglect Him and His ministries.

What this verse makes me think of is John Bunyan who understood deeply the treasures in the Word and then wrote great books with very little education or teaching from others. In fact, he spent a great deal of time in prison totally cut off from other people. Yet, the Spirit provided all that he needed. Bunyan even made the comment that he needed only his Bible and his concordance. His spiritual food came straight from the source without the interpretation of others.

The conclusion of the verse says that the Spirit has taught me the truth, and that truth is to abide in Him. My relationship with Jesus must be so close and personal that my total being is in Him. It is in this closeness that I have an understanding of the Word, but to abide and be taught takes time. This is the problem: time. How much time do I spend letting the Spirit teach me the Word? How much time do I spend abiding in Jesus?

Father,
Teach me daily Your words so that I might be constantly abiding. Thank you for the Spirit and His ministry in my life.
In Jesus name,
Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment