Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Potter

Is. 64:8
"But now, O Lord, You are our Father, we are the clay, and You are our Potter; we are the work of Your hand."

Quite a concession for Israel to make! For Israel to concede that they were clay means that they were giving the reins of their life over to the potter. It means that they were abdicating their penchant for waywardness, self-will, and rebellion. Like Israel, how often do I go my own way? How often do I allow my life to be malleable clay? Do I seek to be soft to the touch of God so that He can make me a work of His hands that brings glory to His name?

My attitude of willingness doesn't change God's plan for my life since God is always sovereign. His way and His plan operate unhindered, but it does change my heart toward God and His plan. A soft heart allows me to relish growth, to delight in my time with God, and to be thankful that all He does in my life is for my good. Instead of being so hard that God must crush me with the holy hammer, it allows me to see the loving hand of my Abba Father.

It makes me think of disciplining a difficult child as opposed to an easy child. While the difficult child makes everything a struggle creating tension and unhappiness, the easy child makes growing a joy that results in a positive relationship. What kind of child am I? Am I His difficult child or His easy child? What will my attitude be toward my Potter?

Father,
I am Your clay. Mold me as You would desire. Reveal those hidden recesses in my heart that harbor self-will and rebellion.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment