Thursday, December 2, 2010

Keep His Word

I Jn. 2: 5-6
"But whoever keeps His Word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in Him, whoever says he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way in which He walked."

Obedience is the path to the love of God being perfected in me. This is a perfection that doesn't come from my performance but from the grace of God energizing me and enabling me to obey the Word. As grace is in full control, the love of God matures or is perfected in me. As I ready, study, and meditate on the word for the purpose of obedience, I then will know the breadth, heighth, depth, and length of the love of God.

In addition to having a deeper and more mature understanding of the Word, obedience is the way that I know I am in Him. Jesus Himself said, "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love..." Obedience is crucial. Jesus obeyed the Father to the point of death, even death on the cross. As He obeyed, so must I obey since a servant is not greater than his master. "For to this I have been called, because Christ also suffered for me, leaving me an example, so that I might follow in His steps."  His example in the Garden of Gethsemane was not what was easy or pain free, but instead He submitted to the Father's will which included death and separation from His Father.  His life was characterized by humble obedience. For me to live like He did, my life must be characterized by humble obedience as well. As I look at my obedience, is it humbly submissive? Am I quick to obey even when it is difficult? Do I desire the love of God at all costs?

Father,
Thank You for the example of Your Son. Help me to live like He did through Your grace and strength. Help me to humbly submit to whatever You have for me to do.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment