Friday, December 3, 2010

Love Not the World

I Jn. 2:15-17
"Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whosoever does the will of God abides forever."

Pretty strong words! I am sure that most believers would say that they do not love the world or anything that is in the world. Yet, sometimes those words seem hollow. Where do we spend most of our time? What are we consumed with? Yet, even though we are in the world and spend time in the world, maybe that is not the issue. Love speaks of an emotional attachment as well as an action. Am I emotionally attached to what is in the world? If I have a choice, what do I chose to do? Where do I chose to be? I need to evaluate my heart for out of the heart comes the treasure that I value.

Since love is part of the fruit of the Spirit, the Spirit Himself is vital in purifying, strengthening, and in directing my love. As the Spirit leads and grows me, He weans me away from the world. Through grace, He changes my entire value system by replacing the desires of the flesh with the desire to be godly, the desires of the eyes with eyes that seek the Word, and pride in possessions with a heart that cares for the needs of others. The Spirit Himself transforms me from the inside out changing my focus and deepening my love for God.

What is the point of valuing what is in the world since it is all passing away anyway. Irrespective of the long term picture, many times what is in the world passes away before a person's grasp is firmly planted. What the world offers is fleeting and unsatisfying. So why the preoccupation? What's the draw? It is my flesh! Since my flesh years for what it used to know and love, I am in a huge spiritual battle, one which demands my constant vigilance and the Spirit's constant attention. But through grace, my victory is assured! I don't have to wallow in the mud of the world, but I can rise above and soar to the heights where His love is the air that I breathe.

Father,
Help me be constantly alert to my flesh and to the pull of the world. Grow my love and make me the person you desire me to be.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment