Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Again--Love

II Jn. 6
"And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments,this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it."

Obviously, the importance of this command can not be understated since John, once again, stresses love and obedience, the pair that can not be separated. However, this time he adds another element, that is being true to what you have been taught. As the believers had heard from the beginning, from their first instruction, they were to continue in obeying. This command can not be watered down or be made into a soft choice. Certainly, it would be much more palatable to say love others and leave out the obedience factor, but once obedience is added then it gives teeth to loving others. It specifies exactly what that means. My love is to find its substance in yielding to God, in obeying His every word, and in selflessly serving others as Jesus did.

Father,
Teach me this love. Transform my feeble attempts and energize them with the power of Your Spirit so that I might love and reflect You as I reach out to others. Draw me to Your word more and more so that I might understand Your heart and love.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment